back

Latin Inscriptions: Public Works


Inscriptions from the time of the Roman Republic, translated by E.H.Warmington (1940). The numbers in red refer to the Latin text in the Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum.


CIL_12.22

Latin Text

Milestone? on the Ostian Road. Column of stone. c. 300 B.C.

11   Gaius Cincius, aedile of the plebs. Acceptably completed by Quintus . . ., and Publius Cornelius.



CIL_12.24

Latin Text

Contract by an aedile. Origin unknown. 3rd century B.C.

A curule aedile of Velitrae let out by contract and likewise, as aedile of the plebs, acceptably completed the work.



CIL_12.2661

Latin Text

Public works at a place unknown, 171 B.C. Now lost.

Petro Rems, son of Petro, Titus Carpinius . . ., Titus Titulenos son of Vibius, overseers, superintended the construction of this work. Here were laid thresholds . . in the consulship of Gaius Cassius and Publius Licinius.



CIL_12.635

Latin Text

Wall built by Servius Fulvius, consul, 135 B.C. On stone found at S. Angelo in a wall (probably dedicatory).

Servius Fulvius Flaccus, consul, son of Quintus, let out the making of this wall by contract out of spoils-money.



CIL_12.694

Latin Text

Servius Sulpicius, consul. On a floor of tessellated work, 144 or 108 B.C.

Servius Sulpicius Galba, consul, son of Servius, let out the making of a hard floor by contract and likewise acceptably completed it.



CIL_12.1529

Latin Text

Lucius Betilienus Varus and his public gifts. At Aletrium. c. 135-90 B.C.

Lucius Betilienus Varus, son of Lucius, by a vote of the Senate superintended the construction of the works which are recorded below: all the street-paths in the town; the colonnade along which people walk to the stronghold; a playing-field; a sun-dial ; a meat-market; the liming of the town-hall; seats; a bathing-pool; he constructed a reservoir by the gate; an aqueduct about 340 feet long leading into the city and to the height; also the arches and good sound water-pipes. In reward for these works the Senate and people made him censor twice; the Senate ordered that his son be exempt from military service; and the people bestowed the gift of a statue on him over the title of Censorinus.



CIL_12.1471

Latin Text

Public works of Marcus Saufeius and Gaius Saufeius at Praeneste. Found at Praeneste. First century B.C.

Marcus Saufeius Rutilus son of Marcus and Gaius Saufeius Flaccus son of Gaius, quaestors, by a vote of the Senate, superintended the building of a kitchen. The same quaestors bought for public state-property a site from Lucius Tondeius, son of Lucius. It is a structure 148 ft. and long and 16 ft. broad from the wall in the direction of the house of Lucius Tondeius.



CIL_12.1469

Latin Text

A work at Praeneste.

Gaius Saufeius Pontanus, son of Gaius, and Marcus Saufeius Pontanus, son of Lucius, aediles, by a decree of the Senate.



CIL_12.1903

Latin Text

A bathing-room at Interamna. Two stones with the same inscription.

Quintus Poppaeus and Gaius Poppaeus, sons of Quintus protector of the borough and settlement, give out of their own money a permanent bathing-room to their townsmen, settlers, other residents, strangers, and visitors.



Milestones of the Via Aemilia set up in the consulship of Aemilius Lepidus, 187 B.C.

CIL_12.617

Latin Text

[i] Found at S. Pietro, not far from Bologna.

Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, consul, son of Marcus, grandson of Marcus.

[a] 268 {miles from Rome}

[b] {on the side} 15 {miles from Bononia}


CIL_12.618

Latin Text

[ii] Found near Bologna.

Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, consul, son of Marcus, grandson of Marcus.

[a] 4 {miles from Bononia}

[b] 21 {miles from Mutina}

[c] 286 {miles from Rome}



CIL_12.638

Latin Text

Milestone recording the public services probably of Publius Popillius Laenas, consul in 132 B.C. Near Forum Popilli (Polla) in Lucania. 132 B.C.

Publius Popillius, consul, son of Gaius. I made the road from Regium to Capua and on that road placed all the bridges, milestones, and sign-posts. From here there are 51 miles to Nuceria; 84 to Capua; 74 to Muranum; 123 to Consentia; 180 to Valentia; 231 to the strait at the Statue; 237 to Regium. Total from Capua to Regium 321. I also as praetor in Sicily sought out the runaways belonging to men from Italy and gave up 917 persons. Again, I was the first to cause cattle-breeders to retire from public state-land in favour of ploughmen. Here I put up a forum and public buildings.



CIL_12.647

Latin Text

Milestone set up by Manius Aquillius. Found near Dikeli, Pergamum's port. 129 B.C.

Manius Aquillius, consul, son of Manius. 131 {miles from Ephesus}

So also the Greek, which adds '(consul) of the Romans'.



CIL_12.657

Latin Text

Milestone of Quinctius Flamininus, 123 B.C. (150 B.C.?). found near Florence.

Titus Quinctius Flamininus, consul, son of Titus

To Pisae.



CIL_12.661

Latin Text

Milestone of Caecilius Metellus, 117 B.C. Found in Picenum.

Lucius Caecilius Metellus, consul, son of Quintus. 119 {miles} from Rome.



CIL_12.840

Latin Text

Milestone of Sergius in Spain. Found near Barcelona, now lost.

Manius Sergius, proconsul, son of Manius. 21



Boundary stones of various kinds.

CIL_12.402

Latin Text

(i) Found at Venusia, now lost. c. 225 B.C. Inscribed with decree of the local Senate.

The quaestors Quietus Ravellius, son of . . .; Publius Cominius son of Publius; Lucius Mallius son of Gaius, consulted the local Senate. The Senators resolved that the place should be either sacred or else public state-property.


CIL_12.366

Latin Text

(ii) Spoletium. Protection of a grove. Found in 1876. A duplicate has recently been found with certain differences: Notiz. d. Sc., XV, 1937, 28-31. The inscriptions are probably to be dated not long after 241 B.C., when Spoletium became a Latin colony. Records a 'Lex dicta'.

Let no one damage this grove. No one must cart or carry away anything that belongs to the grove, or cut wood in it, except on the day when holy worship takes place every year. On that day, person may without offence cut wood as required for the procedure of worship. If any one does damage, he shall make sin-offering to Jupiter with an ox; if any one does damage knowingly and with wrongful intent, he shall make sin-offering to Jupiter with an ox, and moreover let there be a fine of 300 as-pieces. The duty of exacting the said sin-offering and fine shall rest with the dedicator.


CIL_12.401

Latin Text

(iii) Luceria in Apulia. Protection of a grove. Now lost. The text depends on a copy. Records a 'Lex dicta'.

In this grove let no one tip dung or cast a dead body or perform sacrifices for dead relations. If anyone shall have acted contrary to this, let there be, as for a judgment rendered, laying of hands upon him, to an amount of 50 pieces, on the part of any one who shall so desire. Or if a magistrate shall see fit to inflict a fine, he shall be allowed to do so.


CIL_12.400

Latin Text

(iv) On the right bank of the river Volturnus, in Falernian territory. c. 150-100 B.C.?

Retus Vedus . . . Vibius Autrodius, son of Gaius, Spurius Racectius, son of Spurius, and Spurius Teditius, son of Spurius contracted for the setting up of these boundary-stones.


CIL_12.2516

Latin Text

(v) At Ostia early in the second century.

(a) Repeated on three other sides.

Gaius Caninius, praetor of the city, son of Gaius, by vote of the senate adjudged this land to be public state property.

(b) On a fifth side:

Private land up to the Tiber as far as the water's edge.


CIL_12.*14.2772

Latin Text

(vi) In Latium. Tablet of marble. Public notice.

From Diana's Mirror, as far as the Clementian estate, which belongs to Publius Prociuius, 1000 paces more or less.


CIL_12.633

Latin Text

(vii) Near Padua, 141 or 116 B.C.

Lucius Caecilius, proconsul, son of Quintus, by a resolution of the Senate ordered bounds to be established and boundary-marks to be set up between the people of Ateste and the people of Patavium.


CIL_12.636

Latin Text

(viii) Near Verona, 135 B.C.

Sextus Atilius Sarranus, proconsul, son of Marcus, by a resolution of the Senate ordered bounds to be established and boundary-marks to be set up between the people of Ateste and the people of Vicetia.



(A) Two pillars, each making the corner of a century on ager limitatus.

CIL_12.639

Latin Text

(a) Found at Atina in Lucania. Now at Naples. 131 B.C. (Carcopino, Autour des Gracques, pp. 237-8).

On the shaft of the pillar:

Gaius Sempronius, son of Tiberius; Appius Claudius, son of Gaius; Publius Licinius, son of Publius; Board of Three for adjudging and assigning lands. Seventh cardo.

On the top: a decussis +

{one arm marked}: cardo.

{the other}: decumanus {maximus}.


CIL_12.640

Latin Text

(b) Found near St. Angelo in Formis. 131 B.C.

On the shaft

Gaius Sempronius Gracchus, son of Tiberius; Appius Claudius Pulcher, son of Gaius; Publius Licinius Crassus, son of Publius; Board of Three for adjudging and assigning lands.

On the top

On left of decumanus: first. On this side of cardo: eleventh.



(B) Three pillars, each marking apparently an angle which bounded the estate of an established occupier, who is to be left in possession, and possibly indicating the boundary of assignable land and public state-land. All were found on the same 'ager'. It is not certain what some of the signs actually are, or what their meaning is. Brunn, Dressel, and Santoli have given different readings.

CIL_12.643

Latin Text

(a) Found at Rocca San Felice (near the old Aeclanum), 123 B.C. (Carcopino, Autour des Gracques, pp. 237-8).

On the shaft

Marcus Fulvius Flaccus, son of Marcus; Gaius Sempronius Gracchus, son of Tiberius; Gaius Papirius Carbo, son of Gaius; Board of Three for adjudging and assigning lands.

On the top

Estate allowed to established occupier free of charges. (?) Limit of estates.


CIL_12.644

Latin Text

(b) Found near the preceding. 123 B.C.

On the shaft

Marcus Fulvius Flaccus, son of Marcus; Gaius Sempronius Gracchus, son of Tiberius; Gaius Papirius Carbo, son of Gaius; Board of Three for adjudging and assigning lands.

On the top

To established occupier. Allowed free of charges.


CIL_12.645

Latin Text

Found near the two preceding. 123 B.C.

On the top.

Estate of established occupier.

Nothing else has survived on this stone.


CIL_12.719

Latin Text

(C) Record of re-establishment of Gracchan boundary-stones of 132 B.C. (Carcopino, Autour des Gracques, pp. 237-8.) Small pillar found between Pisaurum and Fanum. 82 or 81 B.C.

Marcus Terentius Varro Lucullus, as propraetor, son of Marcus, by a resolution of the Senate, superintended the re-establishment of boundary-stones where Publius Licinius, Appius Claudius, and Gaius Gracchus, Board of Three for granting assigning and adjudging lands, established them.



Other Boundary Stones.

CIL_12.1438

Latin Text

(i) In Latium, at Marino. c. 101 B.C.

This boundary-stone has been placed entirely within the land of Publius Pacilius.


CIL_12.1385

Latin Text

(ii) At Rome.

The whole of this wall, together with the place where the said wall stands, is the property of Gaius Sestius, son of Gaius.


CIL_12.1831

Latin Text

(iii) At Monte Verano.

The lower road is private property of Titus Umbrenius, son of Gaius. Pedestrian traffic, by request only. No person to drive cattle or cart.


CIL_12.1606

Latin Text

(iv) At Capua.

Private ground. Entry by request only.


CIL_12.839

Latin Text

(v) One of two stones found on the Esquiline at Rome. Time of Sulla. A praetor's edict records a decree of the Senate.

(a) Cut on the stone:

The praetor Lucius Sentius son of Gaius, on a vote of the senate, superintended the marking off of this area by boundary-stones.

'In God's name:' Let none be minded to make a burning-ground or cast dung or carcass within the limits of the boundary-stones on the side nearer to the city.

(b) Painted on the stone:

Carry away dung far off, lest you come to grief.



CIL_12.707

Latin Text

Work of Quintus Marcius. On a stone found at Henchir-Aouin, in North Africa. Trilingual. 91 B.C.

[a] Quintus Marcius Protomachus, medical doctor. Made in the consulship of Lucius Marcius, in the month of . . .

[b] Quintus Marcius Protomachus, medical doctor, son of Heracleides.

{Punic text follows.}



CIL_12.2197

Latin Text

Works at Aquileia (c. CIL, 1.2, 2198). Aquileia. c. 100 B.C.?

. . ., by a vote of the Senate, made . . . 30 ft. wide running from the Postumian Road into the cattle-market.



CIL_12.2198

Latin Text

Gate at Aquileia. c. 100 B.C.?

Marcus Annaus, son of Quintus, member, in a fifth year, of the Board of Four for Pronouncing Justice, by decree of the Senate contracted for the restoration of the gate, and likewise acceptably completed the work.



CIL_12.309

Latin Text

Contract for repairing roads in Rome. On five fragments of stone. c. 100-85 B.C. Public document. Column I.

. . . the road, along its length . . . 19 sestertii per foot. On the . . . ian Steps from the bottom of the slope and the Gallic Graves towards . . . the top of the slope the road, along its length, 100 sestertii per foot. From the bottom of the . . . ian Steps past the Marcian . . . to the road ... and behind the market-places and the premises of Gaius Numitorius . . . between . . . the colonnade . . . the road, along its length . . . sestertii per foot . . . the public hall . . . per foot.

In column II only the beginnings of the lines are preserved.



CIL_12.713

Latin Text

Cleaning of an aqueduct. Found near Cales. 86 B.C.

Cleansed in the second consulship of Lucius Cornelius Cinna, in the month of January.



CIL_12.1759

Latin Text

A bridge and pillars in Samnium. In a wall at Castel di Sangro.

Marcus Caecilius, son of Lucius, and Lucius Atilius, son of Lucius, praefects, superintended the making of a bridge and its piers.



CIL_12.1627

Latin Text

Colonnades at Pompeii. Marble tablet. Before 80 B.C.

Vibius Popidius, quaestor, son of Eppius, superintended the making of colonnades.



CIL_12.1628

Latin Text

Public works (thermae?) at Pompeii (cf. CIL, 1, 1627 - colonnades). Two stones with same inscription. Found at Pompeii. c. 90-80 B.C.

Lucius Caesius, son of Gaius, member of the Board of Two for Pronouncing Justice; Gaius Occius, son of Marcus, and Lucius Niraemius, son of Aulus, members of the Board of Two, superintended, by a vote of the local senate, the making of this work out of public money, and acceptably completed the same.



CIL_12.808

Latin Text

Works, at public cost, connected with repairs to the unidentified Via Caecilia. Tablet of stone found in an old wall at Rome. c. 90-80 B.C. Records a public document.

. . . WORKS LET OUT BY C0NTRACT . . . ON THE CAECILIAN ROAD OUT OF . . . THOUSAND SESTERCES IN MONEY.

At the 35th milestone a bridge over the river; sum was assigned: cost to the people . . . sesterces. Quintus Pamphilus contractor and workmen, with Titus Vibius Temudinus, quaestor of the city, as warden of roads; road must be laid down in gravel from the 78th milestone and paved for a distance of 20,000 paces through the Apennine range; sum was assigned: cost to the people 150,000 sesterces in money. Lucius Rufilius, freedman of two Lucii . . . contractor, with Titus Vibius, quaestor, as warden of roads; road must be laid down from the 98th milestone to the 1.. th milestone . . . side-branch leading towards Interamnium up to the 120th milestone; sum was assigned: cost to the people 600,000 sesterces in money. . . Titus Sepunius O . . ., son of Titus . . contractor, with Titus Vibius Temudinus, quaestor of the city, as warden of roads . . . tumbledown arch ... sum was assigned: cost to the people . . . sesterces . . . contractor . . . with Titus Vibius, quaestor of the city, as warden of roads . . .



CIL_12.737

Latin Text

Additions to a building at Rome. Lost. Read by Poggio on a row of arches now built into modern buildings. 78 B.C.

Quintus Lutatius Catulus, consul, son of Quintus, grandson of Quintus, superintended by a vote of the Senate an undercroft and a record-office; and likewise acceptably completed the work.



CIL_12.1814

Latin Text

Work by Publius Herennius and Titus Herennius. At Massa.

Publius Herennius, Titus Herennius and Sextus Herennius, sons of Sextus, of the Sergian tribe and the Supinate quarter, made this with the help of their genius.



Old fortress at Ferentinum, c, 90-8O B.C.

CIL_12.1523

Latin Text

(i) Written on the outside of a wall.

The censors Aulus Hirtius son of Aulus, and Marcus Lollius son of Gaius, superintended the construction of the foundation and walls, from ground-level, and likewise acceptably completed them. Into the earth the foundation goes 33 feet deep on the same plan into the earth as above the earth, in concrete.


CIL_12.1524

Latin Text

(ii) Written inside the building.

The censors Aulus Hirtius son of Aulus, and Marcus Lollius son of Gaius, superintended the construction of foundations and vaults, and likewise acceptably completed them.



CIL_12.1527

Latin Text

A pavement at Ferentinum. Bronze letters on a tablet of stone.

Publius Salonius and Marcus Salonius, sons of Tiberius, aediles, superintended the construction of this hard floor out of their own money.



CIL_12.1537

Latin Text

Rain-tanks at Arpinum. Cicero's time ?

The aediles Aulus Aegius son of Gaius, Lucius Runtius Sisyphus son of Gaius, and Marcus Fufidius son of Marcus, by a vote of the Senate superintended the construction of runs for collecting rainfall, and likewise acceptably completed them.



CIL_12.1694

Latin Text

Public hall at Thurii.

Publius Magius Iuncus, son of Publius, and Quintus Minucius, son of Lucius, censors, by a vote of the Senate superintended the construction of a town hail.



CIL_12.1511

Latin Text

Shrine at Cora.

Marcus Matlius, son of Marcus, and Lucius Turpilius, son of Lucius, members of the Board of Two, by a vote of the Senate superintended the construction of a temple and likewise acceptably completed the work.



CIL_12.1473

Latin Text

Baths and water-supply at Praeneste. On stone. c. 80 B.C.

Quintus Vibuleius son of Lucius, and Lucius Statius son of Salvius, members of the Board of Two, by decree of the local Senate superintended the reconstruction of the baths and the running of a water-supply through public places.



CIL_12.1747

Latin Text

Tower at Telesia (cf. CIL, IX, 2230).

Lucius Mummius son of Lucius, and Gaius Manlius son of Gaius, praetors, members of the Board of Two, by a vote of the local Senate, superintended the construction of two towers instead of holding games.



CIL_12.1722

Latin Text

Towers and walls at Aeclanum. c. 80 B.C. In the ruins of the eastern gate.

Gaius Quinctius Valgus son of Gaius, and protector of the borough; Marcus Magius Syrus, son of Minatus; and Aulus Patlacius son of Quintus, members of the Board of Four, by a vote of the Senate superintended the construction of gates, towers, and walls, and towers level with a wall.



CIL_12.1632

Latin Text

Public services of Gaius Quinctius and Marcus Porcius at Pompeii. Found in the amphitheatre on two pieces of stone. c. 100-80 B.C.

Gaius Quinctius Valgus son of Gaius, and Marcus Porcius son of Marcus, members of the Board of Two in a fifth year, superintended the institution of shows at their own expense for the colony, to honour the same, and gave to the colonists a burial-ground for all time.



CIL_12.1633

Latin Text

Smaller theatre at Pompeii. Two stones with the same inscription.

Gaius Quinctius Valgus son of Gaius, and Marcus Porcius, son of Marcus, members of the Board of Two, let out, by decree of the local Senate, the construction by contract of a covered theatre; they likewise acceptably completed the work.



Works at Pompeii.

CIL_12.1629

Latin Text

[i] . . . Cuspius son of Titus, and Marcus Loreius son of Marcus, members of the Board of Two, superintended, by a vote of the local Senate, the construction of a wall and a battlement; and they likewise acceptably completed the work.


CIL_12.1630

Latin Text

[ii] . . . Cuspius son of Titus and Marcus Loreius son of Marcus, members of the Board of Four; Lucius Septimius son of Lucius, and Decimus Claudius, son of Decimus, members of the Board of Four, superintended the construction of this work out of public money by a vote of the local Senate.


CIL_12.1635

Latin Text

[iii] c. 90-80 B.C.

Gaius Ulius son of Gaius, and Publius Aninius son of Gaius, Board of Two for pronouncing jurisdiction, by decree of the local Senators contracted for the building of a Spartan sweating-room {laconicum} and a rub-down chamber, and for repairs to porticos and a wrestling school, out of the money which they were required to spend by law towards games or on a memorial. They superintended and acceptably completed the works.



CIL_12.1463

Latin Text

Treasury at Praeneste.

Marcus Anicius Baso, son of Lucius, and Marcus Mersieius son of Gaius, aediles, gave means for the construction of this treasury.



CIL_12.1576

Latin Text

Building at Caiatia. Two stones with the same inscription.

Marcus Herennius Gallus son of Marcus, and Quintus Veserius son of Quintus, in a fifth year, as members of the Board of Two, by decree of the local Senate superintended the construction of this work, and likewise acceptably completed it.

Master-builder: Hospes, slave of Appia.



CIL_12.1853

Latin Text

Aqueduct at Amiternum. On stone. Repairs?

. . .

. . . to next reservoir 110 ft.; from . . . to the reservoir Ferebra and the reservoir . . .; 2,320 ft.; from that reservoir to the hill . . . to the reservoir by the vineyards of the Ancharii . . . ft.; . . . from the vineyards of the Ancharii to the reservoir which is hard by Pacius' vineyards 320 ft.; from Pacius' vineyards to the reservoir which is hard by his country-house 950 ft.; from Pacius' country-house to the reservoir which is beneath Pacius' cornland 285 ft.; from the reservoir which is under the cornland to the reservoir at the roadsmeet of Traecis (?) 1,290 ft.; from the corner of Traecis (?) to the reservoir which is at the roadsmeet of Traecis (?) . . . ft.; . . . from the corner of Traecis (?) to the reservoir which is beneath Gavidius' cornland 345 ft.; from Gavidius' cornland to the next reservoir 830 ft. Total number of feet: 8,670.



CIL_12.1898

Latin Text

Building in Picenum. On an old aqueduct between Hadria and Interamnia.

Marcus Petrucidius son of Gaius, and Lucius Pacidius son of Publius, overseers, . . . altars, a socle, columns . . . by a vote of the delegates.



CIL_12.2452

Latin Text

A bath at Lacinium. On a mosaic.

Lucilius Macer, son of Aulus, and Titus Annaeus Thraso, son of Sextus, members of the Board of Two, in a fifth year, superintended the construction of a bath by decree of the Senate.



CIL_12.1806

Latin Text

A public work among the Vestini. On stone. Precise origin unknown. Second century B.C.

The overseers Titus Aiopius son of Gaius, and Salvius Aiopius son of Vibius superintended the construction of this work by a vote of the village commune.



CIL_12.1847

Latin Text

A right-of-way near Amiternum.

Right-of-way for walking and thoroughfare for driving is permitted to this shrine of Feronia, and from this place to the public road, namely the Campanian, at the nearest point thereof, distance 1,2.. feet.



CIL_12.1906

Latin Text

Construction of a road at Interamnia. On Boundary-stones.

[a] Lucius Tettaienus Barcha, son of Lucius, and Lucius Fistanus son of Lucius superintended, by decree of the senators enrolled, the making of a road into the Field at the expense of the associates of the Field, and likewise acceptably completed the work.

[b] {on the side:} Entry on ground outside the wall by request only.



CIL_5.525

Latin Text

Tower and walls at Tergeste. c. 33 B.C.

Imp. Caesar, consul designate for the third time, triumvir for settling the state for the second time, made this wall and towers.



Egadi_1-11   Inscribed Rams from the Aegates Islands (241 B.C.) : see Additional Inscription 4.



For a number of inscriptions recording building of public works, by colleges, and connected with a deity, and so classed among dedicatory inscriptions, see Dedications (2).


Attalus' home page   |   07.05.16   |   Any comments?